Tuesday 27 January 2015

Rosemary Cheddar & Broccoli Scones


A lot of my earliest memories as a tot involve my mum taking me to cafes and letting me share her cheese scone :) It may sound silly but they're such comforting memories and even now when we galavant off for a girly shopping day, we'll head straight to John Lewis for a cheese scone and a cuppa before beginning any kind of retail therapy.

I've been feeling a little under the weather- January's chill has finally caught up with me, so I wanted to bake something homey, buttery and warm to cheer myself up. So with a little improvisation with the Broccoli, a lack of rolling pin and round cutter - I sort of improvised with dough squashing and heart shaped cutters! They tasted delicious regardless!

My scones came out a little flat - I had squashed them too much due to lack of rolling pin so I recommend rolling your dough out to 2cm thick!




What You'll Need //

220g Self Raising Flour
50g Butter
100g Strong Cheddar
20g Broccoli Heads
95ml Milk
1 tsp Baking Powder
Pinch Salt
2 tbsp Dried Rosemary
Pinch Cayenne Pepper

Preheat oven to 190 degrees C with baking tray inside




Step 1
Sift together the flour, cayenne pepper, baking powder & salt. Mix together well. Rub in the butter (cubed) with your fingers.




Step 2
Tip in the grated cheddar (leaving a little for topping) and broccoli heads finely chopped. Mix well.




Step 3
Gradually pour in the milk (leave a little for topping), stirring with a wooden spoon until a soft dough is made. 




Step 4
Flour a surface and roll out the dough to 2cm thick. Cut into shapes of your choice and place on the hot baking tray.




Step 5
Brush the tops with milk and sprinkle on cheddar and rosemary. Bake for 10-15 minutes.






These were my slightly thicker attempt! >>> much better!




Smother these in butter whilst still warm and devour immediately!

Have the loveliest weeks everyone. Hope you're all staying warm and cold-free! These will cheer you up on a rainy day :)

Betty x


Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 27 January 2015 at 18:53 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow delicious… I have the same childhood memories :)

 
At 27 January 2015 at 23:48 , Blogger Unknown said...

I must say it was a real treat having most of them!

 
At 28 January 2015 at 12:49 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my nom!! They really do look amazing - well done Betty!!

Rxx

www.peppermintdolly.com

 
At 10 February 2015 at 10:32 , Blogger The Betty Stamp said...

the best memories :) x

 
At 10 February 2015 at 10:39 , Blogger The Betty Stamp said...

Lucy that's so kind of you , I've written you a comment on your award to explain xx

 
At 10 February 2015 at 10:40 , Blogger The Betty Stamp said...

nom nom in my tom. thanks Pdolly x

 
At 10 February 2015 at 10:40 , Blogger The Betty Stamp said...

o william. most of them? I didn't get a look in! xx

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home