Monday 19 January 2015

Baked Chorizo Scotch Eggs


Chorizo. Baked. Scotch. Eggs. I mean…as far as eggs go…these are pretty much the king of the eggs.

My mum is the queen of making homemade scotch eggs, always supplying a freshly baked batch when she has people over, along with her homemade sausage rolls (but that's an entirely different post - watch this space). They never fail to go down a storm, so I thought I'd give them a whirl and throw some chorizo into the equation because, well, I loooove chorizo.

Now these are slightly healthier than your average scotch egg as they are baked not fried and do not involve any extra oil. I enjoyed mine with a great big bowl of avocado salad and tzatziki for dipping :)

What You'll Need //

6 quality sausages!
6 eggs
Half a red onion
Chorizo (about the length of your thumb)
Mugful of breadcrumbs
Mugful flour
Salt & pepper
Sprinkling of rosemary


What to do//

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C

Tip: The Scotch egg fairy (my mum) advises to pre-make your sausage meat the day before to give it chance to cool in the fridge. I however forgot this step, cooled it in the fridge for 15 minutes, got bored of waiting and carried on making them. They still tasted scrummy, my mum's a wise owl though…so it's up to you really.

Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and lower in 5 of your eggs. Boil for 5 minutes, remove and place in a bowl of cold water before peeling and leaving to one side.

Finely chop and lightly fry your red onion for 2-3 minutes. Leave in a mixing bowl to cool.

Preparing the saucissons! This is the fun bit :) Push the sausage meat out of each sausage skin and dispose of the skins…nobody wants to look at those! Either by hand or in a food processor, mix the sausage meat with your onion, chopped chorizo, salt & pepper and rosemary.

Lightly roll your eggs in some flour. Make 5 flat round discs of sausage meat and wrap securely around each egg.




Now you need 3 stations. First a bowl of flour to dip each scotch egg into. Secondly- beat your final egg in a separate bowl and dip your scotch eggs in. Thirdly, a bowl full of breadcrumbs to roll & cover your eggs in.




Place on a gridded baking tray (I'm not sure of the technical name but one like this) and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes. I advise using one with a grid as a lot of oil comes out of the sausage meat, so this will avoid your scotch eggs sitting in their own oil (I made this mistake)

I hope yours turn out tasty! William was chief taster and was very impressed - his face resembled that of a Cheshire cat.

Happy baking!

Betty x



Labels: , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 19 January 2015 at 12:08 , Blogger OneSliceOfLemon said...

OMG these look amazing Betty! Making me super hungry reading at lunch!

 
At 19 January 2015 at 21:29 , Blogger Meg said...

It may be 9.30pm but there is nothing I want more right now than one of these! I'm definitely going to have to try this at some point - thanks for sharing lovely!
Megan x meguana.blogspot.co.uk

 
At 21 January 2015 at 01:02 , Blogger The Betty Stamp said...

:) x

 
At 21 January 2015 at 01:03 , Blogger The Betty Stamp said...

Haha no problem, do! Let me know how they turn out xx

 
At 21 January 2015 at 21:31 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing!! Your Mum is a talented egg......oh yeah, I went there!! ;-)

Rxx

www.peppermintdolly.com

 
At 21 January 2015 at 22:12 , Blogger The Betty Stamp said...

ooooo Rebecca you word smith you ! xx

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home